Yemen’s Houthis announce halt of missile attacks on Saudi Arabia

The move from the Houthi militias came after the Saudi-led coalition ordered a halt in its offensive against Yemen’s main port city Hodeidah. (Supplied)

Yemen’s Houthi militias said on Monday they were halting drone and missile attacks on Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and their Yemeni allies, responding to a demand from the United Nations.

The move from the Houthi militias came after the Saudi-led coalition ordered a halt in its offensive against Yemen’s main port city Hodeidah, which has become the focus of the war.

“After our contacts with the UN envoy and his request to stop drone and missile strikes ... We announce our initiative ... to halt missile and drone strikes,” Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, the head of the Houthis’ Supreme Revolutionary Committee, said in a statement.

UN special envoy to Yemen, Martin Griffiths, welcomes the Houthis' announcement to halt drone and missile strikes on Saudi coalition.

Meanwhile, the Arab Coalition had confirmed that forces have intercepted and destroyed three ballistic missiles launched by the Houthi militias at Marib on Sunday. The coalition's air defenses last week had also intercepted two ballistic missiles fired by the militias toward the coalition headquarters in the same province.

UN special envoy Martin Griffiths is trying to salvage peace talks after a round in September collapsed when the Houthis did not show up. He hopes to convene talks before the end of the year in Sweden to agree on a framework for peace under a transitional government.

Yemen’s parties have given “firm assurances” they are committed to attending peace talks to be convened shortly, Griffiths told the UN Security Council on Friday, and pledged to escort the Houthi delegation from Sanaa if needed.

The Iranian-aligned group which has been battling the Saudi-backed government for nearly four years added it was ready for a broader ceasefire if “the Saudi-led coalition wants peace.”

“(The decision) came to support the UN envoy, to show good faith and support the peace efforts,” the statement said.

Saudi Arabia and the UAE both have said they support UN-led peace talks.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:54 - GMT 06:54
Top