Lebanon regrets EU blacklisting of Hezbollah: PM

Prime Minister Najib Mikati said Lebanon regrets the European Union's decision Monday to blacklist Hezbollah's armed wing. (Photo courtesy: The Daily Star)

Prime Minister Najib Mikati said Lebanon regrets the European Union's decision Monday to blacklist Hezbollah's armed wing, but said Beirut will maintain its relations with EU members.

"We will follow up on the issue through diplomatic channels, while we wish the EU countries had carried out a careful reading of the facts and sought out more information," Mikati said.

"Lebanese society, in all its components, is keen to abide by international law and to maintain excellent relations with EU member states," he said in a statement.

EU foreign ministers on Monday added Hezbollah's military wing to its list of "terrorist organisations".

The decision came after some of EU's 28 foreign ministers overcame reservations in some member states that such a move would further destabilise Lebanon where the militant group plays a major role.

To do so, ministers agreed that EU political and economic links with Lebanon would be maintained.

They also highlighted the fact that it is the military wing alone that is blacklisted after Hezbollah was blamed for a deadly attack on Israeli tourists in Bulgaria last year.

Hezbollah, which is backed by Iran, is Israel's sworn enemy.

The group's involvement in fighting in Syria alongside President Bashar al-Assad's forces has dismayed Western powers which back rebels battling the regime.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:41 - GMT 06:41
Top