Egypt’s Brotherhood leader in court

Muslim Brotherhood General Guide Mohammad Badie, 70, appeared in court with other prominent Islamists. (File photo: Reuters)

The trial of the Muslim Brotherhood’s General Guide, Mohammad Badie, was adjourned on Monday after he appeared in court for the first time since he was arrested in a state crackdown on the group.

Speaking from the cage reserved for defendants, he denied his group had perpetrated any violence, according to Reuters news agency.

“Why aren’t you investigating the murder of my son, and the burning of my house and the groups’ offices?” said Badie, referring to his 38-year old son killed in August 17 protests ignited by the violent dispersal of Brotherhood sit-ins.

An Egyptian court ordered the trial to reconvene on Feb. 11, an Al Arabiya correspondent reported.

Badie, 70, appeared with other prominent Islamists including Mohammad el-Beltagi and Essam el-Erian.

The case being heard on Monday relates to violence that flared in mid-July near a Brotherhood protest camp at Cairo University. Badie faces charges including inciting the violence.

The state clampdown on the Muslim Brotherhood followed the army overthrow of Islamist President Mohammad Mursi in July. Since then, security forces killed hundreds of Mursi’s supporters during protests.

The defendants interrupted Monday’s session with chanting against generals whom Brotherhood says have stolen power from the country’s first freely elected head of state.

“Down with military rule,” shouted Beltagi, leading the other defendants in chants, according to Reuters.

The men on trial in the case include Bassem Ouda, the former minister of supplies.

(With Reuters)
 

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:42 - GMT 06:42
Top