Israel resuming destruction of Palestinian homes

Palestinians walk past a structure after it was demolished by Isreali bulldozers in Khirbet Al-Taweel village near the West Bank City of Nablus April, 29, 2014. Reuters/ Mohammed Torkoman

Israeli authorities say they have issued home destruction notices to the families of several Palestinians in the West Bank implicated in attacks against Israelis.

The move signals the resumption of a much maligned policy suspended nine years ago after security officials questioned its efficacy.

The military said Monday that the destruction orders have been issued in the past several weeks.

For their part, police say they have targeted several homes in east Jerusalem for destruction or sealing, but are awaiting final government approval before going ahead.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the home destruction policy would be reinstated in response to a wave of Palestinian attacks against Israelis in Jerusalem, mostly against the background of rising tensions over a disputed holy site in the city.
 

 

 

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:43 - GMT 06:43
Top