UK searches for teen girl feared fighting ISIS

Silhan Ozcelik, who went missing a month ago, is supposedly the first British citizen combating against the Islamist group in Syria. (Photo courtesy: Evening Standard)

A teen believed to be the first British female to join in the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) has been identified, the UK’s Daily Mail reported Monday.

According to the daily, British police believe Silhan Ozcelik, who went missing a month ago, travelled to Belgium by train before reaching Syria via the Turkish border.

Police have pinned an appeal poster to a noticeboard at the Kurdish Community Association in north London, where she was an active member, the daily said.

Ozcelik, who is of Kurdish origin and lived in Haringey, boarded a train from St Pancras International station with a male friend and headed to Europe on Oct. 27, the Independent newspaper quoted the head of the Kurdish Community Association as saying.

Her relatives are concerned.

“We are not very happy about that because it has given an image of her that is wrong and upsetting,’ her brother was quoted by the Daily Mail as saying.

The family of the 17-year-old, who has previously taken part in anti-ISIS protests in London, said Ozcelik travelled to Syria to carry out humanitarian work.

“We are 100 percent sure she has gone away to carry out humanitarian and charity work and not to become a fighter against ISIS,” her brother said.
 

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:44 - GMT 06:44
Top