Hamas totally opposed to Abbas new U.N. bid

The draft had failed to pass a vote in the Security Council on December 30. (File photo: AFP)

Hamas said on Monday it was “totally opposed” to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas’s plans to re-submit to the U.N. Security Council a resolution on ending Israel’s occupation which failed last week, according to Agence France-Presse.

“Hamas is totally opposed to any return to the U.N. Security Council by the Palestinian Authority,” spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said in a statement.

“Such a step would be political foolishness which plays a dangerous game with the destiny of our nation,” he said.

“Mahmoud Abbas and the leadership of the Palestinian Authority should completely stop this political foolishness,” Abu Zuhri added.

On Jan. 2, the Palestinian leadership decided to refile a draft resolution setting a deadline for reaching a final peace deal and ending the occupation.

Speaking to AFP, Abbas’s spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeina said the resolution would be presented again “soon,” without saying exactly when.

The draft had failed to pass a vote in the Security Council on Dec. 30.

The vote saw Security Council heavyweights China, France and Russia among eight countries who gave their support, while the United States and Australia voted against.

Five other countries, including Britain, abstained – among them Nigeria which had been expected to vote in favor but changed its stance at the last minute.

The failure to win the nine “yes” votes necessary for the resolution was a diplomatic blow for the Palestinians who had been counting on the symbolic victory of nine votes.

[With AFP]
 

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:44 - GMT 06:44
Top