Saudi Arabia condemns Aden air raids, Sanaa attacks

A Houthi militant walks after a suicide bomb attack at a mosque in Sanaa March 20, 2015. (Reuters)

Saudi Arabia on Friday condemned both the recent air strikes in Yemen that targeted the presidential palace in the southern city of Aden and the deadly bombings at two mosques in the capital Sanaa, the state news agency SPA reported.

The agency quoted an official source as saying: “The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has, with deep concern, followed up the latest painful developments in brethren Yemen, citing an airstrike that targeted Aden city, the Presidential Palace, and surrounding areas yesterday as well as today's bombings, that took place, in Sanaa.”

“Condemning these terrorist aggressions which will not lead but to more destabilization of security and stability, in Yemen, and exposure of the people of brethren Yemen to the furnace of sedition and destruction, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia confirms its standing by the side of legitimacy and the Yemeni people, by all means,” the SPA added.

The agency said King Salman bin Abdulaziz “has instructed dispatching medical assistance to the injured in these terrorist attacks and expressed readiness of the Kingdom to transfer critically injured persons to receive medical treatment in medical centers in the Kingdom from both Sana'a and Aden.”

At least 142 people were killed and 351 were wounded when suicide bombers blew themselves up at two mosques attended by Shiite worshipers in the Yemeni capital Sanaa on Friday, medical sources said.

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) issued a statement claiming responsibility for the suicide bomb attacks, according to Reuters.

The attacks, in which four bombers wearing explosive belts targeted worshippers in and outside the crowded mosques, happened a day after an unidentified warplane attacked the presidential palace in the southern city of Aden.

Anti-aircraft guns opened fire on planes flying high over the presidential compound in Aden on Friday, government sources and witnesses said.

Yemen is torn by a power struggle between the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels in the north and the U.N.-recognized President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, who has set up a rival seat in the south with the backing of Sunni-led Gulf Arab states.

Hadi, who has resumed power from second city Aden in the south, has proposed that peace talks move to neighboring Saudi Arabia.

The six Sunni-dominated Gulf Cooperation Council members agreed to that request last week but have not set a date for the meeting.
The GCC has said the talks were open to the Houthi rebels, which seized power in Sanaa last month.

“The invitation concerns the Houthis,” Attiyah, whose country currently holds the GCC's rotating presidency, told reporters following a meeting of Gulf foreign ministers in the Saudi capital.

“It's their business to accept or not.”

Saudi Arabia on Friday “underscored the importance of prompt response by all political formations in Yemen who are willing to maintain security and stability of Yemen, to take part in a conference set to take place in Riyadh, under the umbrella of the Gulf Cooperation Council.”

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:44 - GMT 06:44
Top