Aden presidential palace not stormed by rebels: source

Militants loyal to Yemen's President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi man a checkpoint on a street in the country's southern port city of Aden March 30, 2015. (Reuters)

An unidentified official source denied to Al Arabiya News Channel that rebels had taken over Yemeni President Abdrabbu Mansour Hadi’s presidential palace in Aden, after earlier claims that Houthi militas had stormed the al-Maashqi palace.

Heavy clashes, including tank shelling, erupted between the rebels and their opponents inside the palace compound, a member of the pro-Hadi militia told AFP.

Hadi fled last week as the rebels bore down on his last stronghold.

The rebel advance into the palace followed heavy fighting between opponents and supporters of Hadi on the streets of the southern city.

At least 44 people -- including 18 civilians -- were reported dead on Thursday alone.

Hadi fled to Aden from the capital after Shiite rebels seized power in February.

The palace came under fire from warplanes twice during his stay in the southern city.

Hadi’s aides have said he has no immediate plan to return from Saudi Arabia.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:47 - GMT 06:47
Top