Asiri: Houthis crossed red line, will pay price

Saudi soldier aims machine-gun from behind sandbag barricade in the border with Yemen in Jazan, Saudi Arabia. (File: AP)

A Saudi Ministry of Defense spokesman said that retaliatory opereations were 'underway' against Houthi militias in Yemen who targeted Saudi residential areas earlier this week, adding that the Yemeni city of Saada and Muran, where the militias launched their attacks from, are now 'targeted areas.'

“The security of Saudi Arabia is a red line that has been crossed and the Houthis will pay the price,” Brig. Gen. Ahmed Asiri said during a press conference on Thursday.

Saudi Arabia’s armed forces said the strikes are aimed at militias and are done to protect civilians of both Yemen and Saudi Arabia as they advised all resiednts of Saada to stay away and avoid all areas where Houthi militia fighters are based, Al Arabiya News Channel reported.

In comments to Al Arabiya’s sister channel Al Hadath; Asiri said the retaliation to the Houthi attacks "will be stern.”

“We will take the necessary steps to defend Saudi Arabia against Houthi attacks,” he added.

“We will target centers of command which planned and authorized strikes against Saudi Arabia,” Asiri later told Al Arabiya.

A series of mortar attacks from Yemen targeted southern Saudi cities of Najran and Jazan earlier this week.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:47 - GMT 06:47
Top