Saudi envoy says ‘guaranteed’ Iran won’t be invited for Yemen talks

Saudi envoy to the United Nations Abdullah al-Mualami said on Wednesday he can “guarantee” that Iran will not be invited for the U.N. talks between warring Yemeni parties in Geneva on May 28. (File photo: Al Arabiya)

Saudi envoy to the United Nations Abdullah al-Mualami said on Wednesday he can “guarantee” that Iran will not be invited for the U.N. talks between warring Yemeni parties in Geneva on May 28.

Mualami told reports in New York that he doesn’t see any reason for Iran - which Saudi Arabia accuses of supporting the Houthi militias - to attend the talks aimed to end over seven weeks of war.

Mualami was speaking to reporters after a meeting with his Yemeni and Qatari counterparts; they all agreed Iran should not be invited.

The envoy accused the Houthis, who attempted a coup to topple the internationally recognized government of Abdrabbu Mansour Hadi, of committing 74 attacks aimed at Saudi Arabia during the five-day humanitarian truce last week.

He also said Saudi Arabia is ready to renew the truce with if “all sides” of the conflict were “committed” to the ceasefire.

Mualami, however, said Saudi military leaders will be the ultimate decision makers if there will be a truce renewal.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:44 - GMT 06:44
Top