Saudi Arabia on Wednesday denied that coalition air strikes hit a hospital in Yemen run by medical charity MSF after the attack was condemned by U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.
The hospital in the northern city of Saada was hit late Monday, but MSF (Doctors Without Borders) said there were no casualties.
The Saudi mission to the United Nations said in a statement that “the Arab coalition aircrafts did not attack the hospital” and were not in Saada at the time.
Coalition forces had been given the exact coordinates of the hospital which were placed “within the forbidden targets,” the Saudi statement said.
“Accordingly, this hospital could not have been targeted by the coalition forces,” it added.
The Saudi mission said a thorough investigation was under way and expressed its “deep regret” that Ban had blamed the coalition “without waiting for full and accurate information about that regrettable incident.”
In a statement issued Tuesday, Ban condemned the air strikes which he said had been carried out by the Saudi-led coalition and called for an investigation.
The U.N. chief renewed his call for an end to the fighting including the air campaign launched by Saudi Arabia in March to push back an advance by Iran-backed Houthi militias in Yemen.
A U.N. bid to launch peace talks in June failed over demands for a Houthi withdrawal from seized territory, but this time, much effort is put in ensuring there is agreement on the agenda.
نستخدم ملفات الكوكيز لنسهل عليك استخدام مواقعنا الإلكترونية ونكيف المحتوى والإعلانات وفقا لمتطلباتك واحتياجاتك الخاصة، لتوفير ميزات وسائل التواصل الاجتماعية ولتحليل حركة المرور لدينا...اعرف أكثر