Palestinian killed in West Bank after stabbing attempt

Palestinian protester hurl stones at Israeli troops during clashes in the West Bank city of Hebron. (Reuters)

A Palestinian was killed and three Israeli soldiers injured in two attacks near the turbulent West Bank city of Hebron on Sunday.

One Palestinian tried to stab Israeli soldiers at a military checkpoint near Beit Einun village north of Hebron and was shot dead by troops, the army said.

Palestinian medical sources later identified him as Fadi Faroukh, 29.

In a second incident in the same area, which is near the Jewish settlement of Kiryat Arba, three Israeli border police were injured when they were run over by a car in what police called "an attack".

Israeli rescue services said one policeman was "moderately injured" and the other two lightly. The attacker was fired upon but escaped, police said.

Earlier, in the nearby village of Saair, Palestinians buried Raed Jaradat, 22, who was shot dead by soldiers during an October 26 attack, also at the Beit Einun junction.

His body had been withheld by the Israeli authorities until Sunday.

Israel has been withholding the bodies of suspected assailants as part of measures aimed at dissuading attacks on Jews.

On Friday, it said it had released seven bodies, apparently to ease tensions.

Defence Minister Moshe Yaalon said on Sunday that he agreed to return the bodies of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank to the Palestinian Authority on condition that burials did not become protest rallies.

"I ordered the return of bodies to the Hebron area. If we get an undertaking that funerals will be quiet we shall continue to return them," he said.

"If not, we shall not return them and will even bury them in our territory."

Two Palestinians were wounded in clashes with security forces after Sunday's funeral, an AFP correspondent in Hebron said.

Israel denies link to ‘tear gas death’ of Palestinian baby

On Saturday, Israel’s military rejected Saturday any link between its use of tear gas during West Bank clashes and the death of an eight-month-old boy, after the Palestinian health ministry said he was asphyxiated.

On Friday, the Palestinian ministry said Ramadan Thawabteh was asphyxiated in his Bethlehem home by tear gas fired by Israeli soldiers during clashes with Palestinian stone throwers.


“Following both medical and operational investigations it was concluded that there is no correlation of IDF (Israeli army) activity in the village and the tragic death of the infant,” a military spokesman said Saturday.

“Tear gas was used dozens of meters (yards) away from the Thawabteh residence, and no riot dispersal means were directed at the residence,” a statement said

Hundreds of people attended the boy’s funeral on Saturday.

Last Update: 19:43 KSA 22:43 - GMT 19:43