A ship carrying more than 25,000 pounds (11,000 kg) of low-enriched uranium materials left Iran for Russia on Monday in an Iranian step toward honoring a July 14 nuclear deal with major powers, the United States said.
Under the landmark nuclear accord, certain U.S., European Union and U.N. sanctions are to be removed in exchange for Iran accepting long-term curbs on a nuclear program that the West has suspected was aimed at creating a nuclear bomb.
A key provision of the agreement, negotiated by Iran with the United States, Britain, China, France, Russia and Germany, is Tehran’s commitment to reduce its stockpile of low-enriched uranium to below 660 pounds (300 kg). If much further refined, low-enriched uranium can yield fissile material for nuclear weapons.
“The shipment included the removal of all of Iran’s nuclear material enriched to 20 percent that was not already in the form of fabricated fuel plates for the Tehran Research Reactor,” U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said in a written statement.
“This removal of all this enriched material out of Iran is a significant step toward Iran meeting its commitment to have no more than 300 kg of low-enriched uranium,” Kerry added.
Ship with low-enriched uranium leaves Iran for Russia
An Iranian technician works at the Uranium Conversion Facility just outside the city of Isfahan in 2007. (File photo: AP)
- 8068 Views Coronavirus: Saudia Airlines to resume travel to 33 destinations in November
- 7873 Views France recalls envoy to Turkey after Erdogan questions Macron’s mental health
- 5467 Views Dubai announces $136 mln economic stimulus package amid coronavirus pandemic
- 4591 Views Khabib retires after choking out Gaethje to retain UFC lightweight crown in Abu Dhabi
- 2561 Views Coronavirus: Istanbul mayor Imamoglu in hospital after positive test
- 1743 Views Arab Coalition intercepts Houthi drone targeting Saudi Arabia
- 36144 Views First Emirati passenger plane lands in Israel from UAE
- 35692 Views Shock in Iraq after woman throws her two children into the Tigris River
- 28895 Views ‘Welcome to Israel’: First UAE delegation received by Israeli PM Netanyahu at airport
- 27338 Views Iranian dissident Mehdi Amin found murdered at his residence in Canada
- 18487 Views Paris attack: Chechen who beheaded teacher Samuel Paty tweeted against Saudi Arabia
- 11581 Views Coronavirus: UAE continues to battle surge of infections as 1,563 new cases detected