Yemen: There is consensus on ceasefire draft

People ride on a motorbike past a building destroyed during recent fighting in Yemen’s southwestern city of Taiz March 14, 2016. (Reuters)

There is a consensus over a final draft agreement to implement ceasefire in Yemen, the country’s Foreign Affairs Minister Abdul Malek Mekhlafi told the Arabic language website of Al Arabiya News Channel.

Mekhlafi said the experiment to implement ceasefire will begin in the southwestern city of Taiz and then it will be extended to other provinces.

The Iran-backed Houthi militia group is currently laying siege to Taiz, the country’s third largest city, and surrounding areas. Some 200,000 civilians in Taiz are caught up in the fighting.

Since March last year, a Saudi-led Arab Coalition has bombed Iranian-backed Houthi militias and forces allied to deposed leader Ali Abdullah Saleh, in a bid to put the government of internationally recognized President Abdrabbu Mansour Hadi back in power.

Mekhlafi had previously said that the Yemeni government will not accept any conditions set by the Houthis during the upcoming Kuwait negotiations which are expected to last for at least one week.

UN-sponsored peace talks are scheduled to start in Kuwait on April 18. The two sides have confirmed a truce starting at midnight on April 10 ahead of the peace talks.

Meanwhile, massive military reinforcements have arrived in the Nihm District east of Sanaa. This comes within the context of preparations for a battle to restore Sanaa in case the Kuwait talks fail.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:46 - GMT 06:46
Top