MIDDLE EAST

Death toll in Baghdad bombing rises to 324

A sign of missing family is seen at the site of a Karrada suicide bomb attack in Baghdad, Iraq July 26, 2016. (File photo: Reuters)

The death toll from a suicide bombing in central Baghdad on July 3 has reached 324 and might climb further, Iraq's health minister said on Sunday.

The attack, claimed by the militant group ISIS whose fighters government forces are trying to eject from large parts of the north and west, was the deadliest bombing in Iraq since US-led forces toppled Saddam Hussein 13 years ago.

The toll could climb further as forensic teams are still working to identify bodies, the minister, Adela Hmoud, said.

ISIS has lost ground in Iraq since last year to US-backed government forces and Iranian-backed Shiite militias.

But the deadly July 3 bombing in a commercial street of the mainly Shiite Karrada district of central Baghdad showed it can still strike in the capital.

On July 7, the ministry put the toll at 292. But it has risen as more people, initially registered as missing, were identified as among the dead, Hmoud said.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Monday, 1 August 2016 KSA 00:10 - GMT 21:10
Top
BREAKING NEWS

Send to a friend

Close
Death toll in Baghdad bombing rises to 324
The attack that was claimed by ISIS was the deadliest bombing in Iraq since US-led forces toppled Saddam Hussein
Friend's name:
Friend's Email:
Sender's name:
Sender's Email:
Captcha Code
How are we doing?
X

How are we doing?

Name Name *
Email Email *
Country Country
Message Message *
Maximum 550 words allowed