Arab coalition removed from child blacklist

The announcement came as Ban briefed the UN Security Council on the UN annual report on children and armed conflict (Reuters)

United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon announced Tuesday the removal of the Saudi-led Arab coalition from a blacklist of those causing the deaths of hundreds of children in Yemen.

The announcement came as Ban briefed the UN Security Council on the UN annual report on children and armed conflict.

The Saudi-led coalition includes United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, Senegal and Sudan.

Ban previously removed the coalition from the blacklist temporarily - contained in an annex to the report - on June 6 pending a joint review after Saudi Arabia, a key UN donor, threatened to cut funding to the world body. Riyadh denied using threats.

Saudi Arabia reacted then angrily to the preliminary UN decision to add the coalition to a list of children's rights violators after determining that it was responsible for 60% of the 785 children killed in Yemen last year.

The UN Secretary-General agreed to a Saudi proposal to review the facts and cases cited in the report jointly with the coalition.

Previously Ban met with Saudi Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir. And the United Nations has said that it expects the Saudi-led coalition to take measures in to address the row over the blacklist.

During Tuesday's meeting, Ban said he has received information about measures taken by the coalition "to prevent and end grave violations against children" and added that "the forward-looking review continues" which indicates that the coalition will not to be put on the blacklist.

WATCH: Saudi ambassador to the UN slams Houthis over mistreatment of children

 

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:52 - GMT 06:52
Top