Yemen’s president accuses Houthis of funeral blast

Yemeni President Abd Rabbu Mansour al-Hadi accused the Houthi militias of being the masterminds behind the explosion that targeting a mourning tent. (File Photo: Reuters)

Yemeni President Abd Rabbu Mansour al-Hadi accused the Houthi militias of being the masterminds behind the explosion that targeting a mourning tent on Friday - killing least five people and wounding 20 in the city of Marib, east of the capital Sanaa - adding that the militias “won’t hesitate to do anything that would kill and destroy.”

Local officials said the explosion was caused by a roadside bomb that went off near the mourning tent where condolences were being paid for Major-General Abdul-Rab al-Shadadi who was killed last week while leading an offensive against the Iranian-backed Houthi militias, local media reported.

Among those killed in Friday’s blast was Salem al-Shadady, the older brother of the general killed earlier, Saba said.

Shadadi, commander of Yemen’s Third Military Region — which has its headquarters in the city of Marib — was the most senior member of the pro-Hadi forces to be killed in nearly 19 months of civil war in Yemen.

(with Reuters)

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:52 - GMT 06:52
Top