Syrian regime bombardment kills seven civilians in Idlib

Three children were among those killed in a village of the country’s last major rebel bastion. (File photo: AP)

Syrian regime artillery fire Friday killed seven civilians in Idlib, in the highest death toll since a Russian-Turkish deal last month to prevent a government assault on the province, a monitor said.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Friday's shelling is the most serious violation of a truce reached by Turkey and Russia last month.

The Observatory said seven people, including three women and three children, were killed in the shelling of Umm Jalal and Rafa villages in Idlib province.

The area is part of a demilitarization zone that was agreed upon between Russia and Turkey to avert a government offensive on Idlib, the last major rebel stronghold in the country.

The Smart News, an opposition activist collective, reported casualties in Rafa without giving a breakdown.

The Russia-Turkey deal that went into effect on Oct. 15 has been violated on several occasions.

The official spokesman of the National Liberation Front revealed that the forces of the Assad regime in Syria are targeting positions of the Syrian armed opposition in the countryside of Idlib and Aleppo with artillery and missiles.

The spokesperson, Naji Mustafa, said to Al Arabiya that “it’s been calm since the Sochi agreement, and our heavy weapons were not available on the fronts.”

With Agencies

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:51 - GMT 06:51
Top