UN aid official: Houthis blocking food for thousands in Yemen

Newly recruited Houthis chant slogans as they ride a military vehicle during a gathering in the capital Sanaa.. (File photo: AFP)

A World Food Programme spokesperson says Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi militia have blocked a shipment meant to feed some 100,000 families in the war-torn nation that’s been pushed to the brink of starvation.

The official says the aid was blocked after the WFP partially suspended aid last week after accusing the Houthis of looting.

The Houthis, who control northern Yemen, responded with a fierce media campaign against the WFP, accusing it of sending spoiled food.

The official says the Houthis ordered over 8,000 tons of flour sent by the WFP out of the Red Sea port of Hodeidah, claiming it was contaminated with dead insects.

A subsequent check on the cargo, now docked in Oman, showed it was clean.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the incident.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:53 - GMT 06:53
Top