Iraq paramilitary force says Israel behind latest drone attack

The attack happened after a series of explosions in recent weeks at weapons depots belonging to Iran-backed militias in Iraq. (File photo: AFP)

Iraq’s Hashed al-Shaabi accused Israel of a deadly drone attack on Sunday, the first time they directly blame Israel after a series of blasts hit bases run by the paramilitary force.

“As part of the string of Zionist attacks on Iraq, the evil Israeli crows have returned to target the Hashed al-Shaabi, this time with two drones inside Iraqi territory,” the statement said.

Earlier on Sunday, Iraqi Shiite paramilitary groups said that two of their fighters were killed in strikes by unmanned aircraft close to the Syrian border in Anbar province.

The strikes took place 15 km (9 miles) away from the border, a statement from the Anbar paramilitary operations command said, adding that it was not clear who carried out the strikes.

A security source told Reuters there were two air strikes.

One struck the headquarters of a local paramilitary brigade, while the other struck a convoy of cars leaving the building.

The attack happened after a series of explosions in recent weeks at weapons depots belonging to Iran-backed militias in Iraq.

The militias have blamed Israel and the United States for some of the attacks. Israel has hinted its involvement.

The Pentagon has denied any involvement.

ALSO READ: US officials confirm Israeli strike in Iraq
 

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 10:00 - GMT 07:00
Top