Turkey assault in northeast Syria displaced 300,000: Monitor

Picture shows smoke rising from the Syrian town of Ras al-Ain. (File photo: AFP)

Turkey’s week-old offensive against Kurdish-controlled areas of northeastern Syria has displaced more than 300,000 people, a war monitor said Thursday.

“More than 300,000 civilians have been displaced since the start of the offensive,” Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said.

The Turkish operation comes after US President Donald Trump announced the withdrawal of US forces from northeastern Syria, which is currently administered by the Kurdish-led Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria (NES), often referred to as Rojava.

Trump’s move was seen by critics as an abandonment of Kurdish forces which had been the key ally in the fight against ISIS.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:56 - GMT 06:56
Top