Secretary Pompeo eyes resolution in coming weeks on Sudan terror listing

A general view shows the skyline of the Sudanese capital Khartoum on April 21, 2010. (AFP)

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo voiced hope Wednesday for a resolution in the coming weeks with Sudan, which said it expects soon to be delisted as a state sponsor of terrorism.

Pompeo said he spoke Wednesday by telephone with Sudan’s Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok, a civilian whose near year-old government has been pushing to remove the designation by Washington that severely impedes foreign investment.

“We’re working very closely with him to try and come to a solution so that we get the right outcome for their new leadership and for the Sudanese people,” Pompeo told reporters.

“I’m hopeful that that will be forthcoming in the weeks ahead,” said Pompeo, who was asked about the terrorism designation.

Sudan’s Foreign Minister Asmaa Abdallah told AFP on Tuesday that the government was finishing a deal to compensate victims of the simultaneous 1998 bombings of the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.

Once the deal is complete, she said she expected the United States to move ahead with the delisting of Sudan “as soon as possible.”

Washington first blacklisted Sudan in 1993 as strongman Omar al-Bashir hosted terrorists.

He welcomed Osama bin Laden and Sudan was accused of aiding the terrorists who carried out the bombings, which killed 224 people and injured around 5,000, almost all of them African.

Al-Bashir was ousted by the military in April last year following months of protests and the new transitional government has sought to repair Sudan’s international standing.

Read more:

Settlement deal closes USS Cole bombing case, says Sudan

Sudan PM sees progress on US terror list removal

Pompeo was speaking at the launch of an annual US report on terrorism, which credited the new government’s work with the United States and distancing from extremist groups.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

The report, however, said that militants from the ISIS terrorist group appeared to have an active “facilitation networks” in Sudan.

Khartoum recently finalized a deal compensating families of victims of the 2000 USS Cole bombing in Yemen’s Aden harbor, for which al-Qaeda also claimed responsibility.

Sudan always denied any involvement but agreed to the settlement to fulfill US conditions.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 24 June 2020 KSA 22:10 - GMT 19:10
Top