Pompeo says Washington ready to help Lebanon recover after Beirut blasts

The White House is illuminated in the early evening. (File Photo: Reuters)

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo offered condolences to those affected by the Beirut explosions that killed more than 50 people and wounded thousands of others on Tuesday.

"We are monitoring and stand ready to assist the people of Lebanon as they recover from this horrible tragedy," he tweeted.

A statement from Pompeo's office said that the US Embassy in Beirut reported the extensive damage to "a city and a people that I hold dear, an additional challenge in a time of already deep crisis." Pompeo said the US would look forward to the outcome of the Lebanese government's investigations.

Earlier in the day, a White House spokesperson said that the US was "closely" following the developments in Lebanon and that President Donald Trump had been briefed on the situation.

For full story, click here.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 05 August 2020 KSA 00:27 - GMT 21:27
Top