Russia, Turkey halt military patrols in Syria’s Idlib over militant attacks

A file photo shows Turkish and Russian military vehicles return following a joint patrol in northeast Syria. (Reuters)

Russia and Turkey have suspended joint military patrols carried out along the M4 highway in Syria’s northwestern region of Idlib over increasing militant attacks in the area, the Russian foreign ministry said.

Russia and Turkey began the patrols in March after they agreed a ceasefire in the region following weeks of clashes that brought Ankara and Moscow close to direct confrontation, and displaced nearly a million people.

Recent attacks by “radicals” have prompted a suspension of the patrols, the ministry’s spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

“Terrorists have stepped up the amount of shelling on government troops and nearby settlements, not ceasing their provocations in the ‘security corridor’ along the M4 highway. Thus, the joint patrols have been suspended,” she told a news conference on Thursday.

Read more:

Syria’s President suffers from low blood pressure: Regime news channel

Alarming rise in child deaths in Syrian camp: Charity

UN says Syrian, Russian air strikes in Idlib amount to crime against humanity

The two militaries had carried out 24 joint patrols along the key M4 highway that links Syria’s east and west, with the latest along the Trumbah and Ayn Al Havron road on Wednesday, Turkey’s defense ministry said.

Two patrols had previously been cut short over security concerns.

The ceasefire reached by Ankara and Moscow on March 5 has largely held, with both sides saying there have only been minor violations.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Friday, 14 August 2020 KSA 18:52 - GMT 15:52
Top