NORTH AFRICA

Launch of Egypt’s first smartphone postponed after batteries stolen

The company manufacturing the cellphone said a shipment of 15,000 batteries had been stolen and police are currently investigating the issue. (Shutterstock)

The first Egyptian-made mobile phone planned to launch in Egypt at the end of this month will be delayed after officials confirmed that the shipment of the cellphone batteries has been stolen.

Head of SICO Technology, the company manufacturing the cellphone, was quoted saying a shipment of 15,000 batteries had been stolen and police are currently investigating the issue.

Mohamed Salem told al-Nahar TV that the shipment was heading to Egypt via its coastal port in the city of Damietta.

The launch will now be postponed to an unspecified date, he added.

Earlier this month, the first Egyptian-made cellphone was presented in the attendance of President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi during a regional technological trade fair in New Cairo.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Monday, 18 December 2017 KSA 15:34 - GMT 12:34
Top
BREAKING NEWS

Send to a friend

Close
Launch of Egypt’s first smartphone postponed after batteries stolen
Friend's name:
Friend's Email:
Sender's name:
Sender's Email:
Captcha Code
How are we doing?
X

How are we doing?

Name Name *
Email Email *
Country Country
Message Message *
Maximum 550 words allowed