Libyan rivals resume talks aimed at brokering lasting ceasefire: UN

Libya’s Fayez al-Sarraj, left, and General Khalifa Haftar, right. (File photo: AFP)

Libya’s warring sides have resumed talks in Geneva aimed at brokering a lasting ceasefire in the war-torn country, the UN said on Thursday.

“The talks are underway again,” Jean El-Alam, spokesman for the United Nations Support Mission in Libya, told AFP, days after the country’s unity government announced it was halting its participation.

UN Libya envoy Ghassan Salame launched a second round of military talks on Tuesday with five senior officers from Libya’s Government of National Accord (GNA) and five negotiators representing eastern military commander Khalifa Haftar’s forces.

The GNA then pulled out of the process after a barrage of rockets hit a port in the capital Tripoli -- the target months of bombardment by Haftar’s forces.

The port strikes were the latest violation of a tenuous truce that came into effect in January, brokered by Russia, which supports Haftar, and Turkey, which supports the UN-recognized government in Tripoli.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.

The first round of military talks ended with no result earlier this month but Salame said there was “more hope” this time, mainly because of the approval of a UN Security Council resolution calling for a “lasting ceasefire.”

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 10:02 - GMT 07:02
Top