Libyan National Army announces downing a Turkish drone west of the city of Sirte

The main road in central Sirte deserted. (File photo: AFP)

Libyan National Army (LNA) announced downing a Turkish drone west of the city of Sirte on Monday, despite international calls for a return to negotiations on an immediate ceasefire in the North African country.

The Mediterranean coastal city of Sirte is a key gateway to the country's major oil fields in the east, still held by the LNA forces.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi announced Cairo's plan for a ceasefire in Libya, beginning June 8, after meeting with Libyan National Army (LNA) Gen. Khalifa Haftar on Saturday.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Al-Sisi said that the political initiative, which he called the “Cairo initiative” would pave the way for a return to normal life in Libya and warned against using military tactics to resolve the crisis.

Speaking alongside Haftar and Aguila Saleh, the head of the eastern Libyan parliament, Sisi proposed a plan that includes talks in Geneva, the election of a leadership council, the disbanding of militias, and the exit of all foreign fighters from Libya.

So far, the UN-recognized Government of National Accord has rejected the initiative, while the rival LNA has backed it. The effort was also welcomed by Saudi Arabia, the UN Support Mission in Libya, and Russia.

The UAE's Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Anwar Gargash, also said on Monday that the Egyptian initiative could lead to an immediate ceasefire in the country, the withdrawal of foreign forces, and a political solution.

Libya has been mired in chaos since the 2011 uprising that toppled and later killed longtime dictator Muammar Gaddafi.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Monday, 08 June 2020 KSA 16:57 - GMT 13:57
Top