ISIS threat raises security level at U.S. military bases

Military personnel salutes as Air Force One, with President Barack Obama aboard, departs from Andrews Air Force Base in Md., Wednesday, April 22, 2015. (AP)

The Pentagon has raised its protection level for military bases across the country in response to threats from the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), CNN reported Friday quoting U.S. officials.

U.S. military bases are now reportedly at “Force Protection Bravo” which is defined by the military as an “increased and predictable threat of terrorism.”

Force Protection Bravo is the third-highest threat level on a five-tier scale used by the Department of Defense.

The head of U.S. Northern Command, Admiral William Gortney, ordered the heightened alert "as a prudent measure," Pentagon spokesman Colonel Steven Warren said.

The move, he said, was designed "to remind installation commanders at all levels within the NORTHCOM area of responsibility to ensure increased vigilance in safeguarding of all DoD (Defense Department) personnel and facilities."

The change will affect 3,200 sites, including bases, National Guard facilities, recruiting stations and health clinics, a Pentagon official said.

On Thursday, FBI Director James Comey said: “We have a general concern, obviously, that ISIS is focusing on the uniformed military and law enforcement.”

The move came after two men attempted to storm an exhibition last week showing caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed in a Dallas suburb.

 

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:47 - GMT 06:47
Top