Hotel in Russian World Cup host city evacuated due to alleged bomb threat

Security blocks the entrance to the Topos Congress hotel in the soccer World Cup host city of Rostov-on-Don, Russia June 26, 2018. (Reuters)

Russian police vehicles and ambulances surrounded the Topos Congress-Hotel in the soccer World Cup host city of Rostov-on-Don late on Tuesday, Reuters witnesses said.

Police had earlier evacuated the hotel, according to hotel staff. Reuters witnesses said they were told by police that they had been evacuated due to a bomb threat.

None of the teams participating in the tournament was reported to be staying at the hotel in question

The Topos Congress-Hotel in the southern Russian city of Rostov-on-Don, evacuated by police late on Tuesday, is not listed by FIFA as a soccer World Cup hotel.

Reuters witnesses added that sniffer dogs were seen entering the hotel, and that police were questioning the staff, guests outside.

The southern Russian city of Rostov-on-Don has so far hosted four matches in the World Cup, including Croatia's 2-1 win over Iceland earlier on Tuesday. The next scheduled match at the venue is on July 2.
 

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:57 - GMT 06:57
Top