French extremist recruiter sentenced to 22 years in prison

A court sketch made on January 20, 2020 shows suspected ISIS recruiter Mourad Fares standing during his trial in Paris. (AFP)

A Frenchman has been sentenced to 22 years in prison for seeking to recruit dozens of youths to fight as extremists in Syria and for leading a brigade of French-speaking extremists in the war-torn country.

Mourad Fares, 35, fled Syria in 2014, and was arrested in Turkey and handed over to French authorities the same year.

Prosecutors said he played a “crucial” role in the recruiting of young people to fight as extremists in Syria, and noted a lack of any “real regret” for his actions.

Fares appeared unmoved as the verdict was read out at a special court on Friday evening.

He admitted to the court he “indirectly” recruited youths to fight as extremists via his propaganda videos and “facilitated” the entry of a number of people into Syria.

He denied taking part in combat operations in Syria, where he travelled in 2014.

But prosecutors said he “participated in armed actions” with ISIS, later known as the Islamic State group, before leaving to a join a cell of French-speaking extremists affiliated with the Al-Nusra front.

The court also found Fares guilty of leading this cell.

France has been on high alert since a wave of extremist attacks that began in 2015 which have killed more than 250 people.

Dozens of French citizens left to join ISIS in Syria and Iraq before US-led coalition forces dislodged the insurgents from their so-called “caliphate” last year.

ISIS leaders also urged followers in France to stage attacks on their own, often targeting security forces, and officials have said the threat of further ISIS-inspired attacks remains high.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: 06:57 KSA 09:57 - GMT 06:57
Top