The Taliban declared a three-day Eid ceasefire in Afghanistan starting Sunday, via a tweet on Saturday from the extremist group, and the country’s president said the government would reciprocate.
The move came as fighting between the two sides had intensified despite the coronavirus pandemic.
“Do not carry out any offensive operations against the enemy anywhere, if any action is taken against you by the enemy, defend yourself,” Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, tweeted.
I welcome the ceasefire announcement by the Taliban. The Afghan government extends the offer of peace. As Commander in Chief I have instructed ANDSF to comply with the three-days truce and to defend only if attacked. Further details will be given in my speech tomorrow morning.— Ashraf Ghani (@ashrafghani) May 23, 2020
Last month, the Taliban rejected a government call for a ceasefire across Afghanistan for Ramadan, saying a truce was “not rational” as they ramped up attacks on Afghan forces.
Afghan security forces stand guard outside a hospital which came under attack in Kabul, Afghanistan, on May 12, 2020. (Reuters)
At least 146 civilians were killed and 430 wounded by the Taliban during Ramadan, Javid Faisal, a spokesman for the country’s main intelligence and security office in Kabul, said on Saturday.
Afghanistan’s Ghani orders troops to switch to offensive as 40 killed in two attacks
Taliban says it is releasing 20 prisoners in south Afghanistan
US commander meets Taliban leaders over ‘reduction in violence’ in Afghanistan