French police say Arc de Triomphe bomb alert in Paris lifted

A view shows the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, France, October 27, 2020. (Reuters/Charles Platiau)

The areas around the Arc de Triomphe and Eiffel Tower in central Paris have been reopened after briefly being evacuated on Tuesday for security alerts, police told Reuters.

The Arc de Triomphe area and surrounding subway stations had been evacuated following a bomb alert, but by 1630 GMT traffic was back to normal, police and witnesses said.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

The Paris Champ de Mars park around the Eiffel Tower had also been evacuated briefly following the discovery of a bag filled with ammunition.

Two local French news sites showed pictures of a blue bag with different kinds of ammunition.

France is on high alert following the beheading of a teacher this month by an 18-year-old Muslim man angry about the use of cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad in a civics lesson.

There have been several false bomb alerts, most recently in the Lyon railway station last week and at the Eiffel Tower a month ago.

Read more:

Facing Muslim anger, France warns citizens abroad to take caution, avoid gatherings

France’s President Macron calls killing of teacher ‘Islamist terrorist attack’

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 28 October 2020 KSA 23:42 - GMT 20:42
Top