The New Year could hardly gotten off to a worse start in Germany. As people gathered around Cologne's historic cathedral to celebrate on New Year's Eve, it soon became evident that something was going wrong. Groups of men of 'Arab and North African' appearance, as the police would later put it, massed next to the adjacent train station and began harassing women. Up to 1,000 men are estimated to have ganged up on female passersby, allegedly groping, pick pocketing and even raping.
Germany in 2016: New Year, new mood
Supporters of anti-immigration right-wing movement PEGIDA protest in Cologne. (File photo: Reuters)
- 7067 Views Coronavirus cases in Saudi Arabia rise to 2,385 with 34 fatalities
- 4177 Views Coronavirus: Sweden takes different approach to tackling the outbreak as numbers rise
- 3821 Views Coronavirus: Dubai announces two-week 24-hour curfew as disinfection continues
- 2299 Views Saudi Ministry of Justice sends out a message of hope amid coronavirus pandemic
- 1791 Views Coronavirus: Bus driver dies after video criticizing passenger for coughing
- 1764 Views Coronavirus: Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt business conditions fall at record pace
- 126166 Views 21 mln drop in China's mobile users may suggest higher coronavirus death toll: Report
- 69248 Views South Korea conquered coronavirus without a lockdown: a model to follow?
- 44791 Views Coronavirus: Saudi's King Salman orders treatment for all, including visa violators
- 34143 Views UAE records total of 570 coronavirus cases and three deaths
- 30972 Views Coronavirus: Saudi Arabia enforces 24-hour daily curfew in Mecca, Medina
- 21085 Views Top Russian doctor who shook Putin’s hand tests positive for coronavirus