Political observers are eagerly awaiting the announcement of President-elect Donald Trump’s White House Cabinet. In normal circumstances, there would be the possibility of looking at a president-elect’s previous record to gauge insight into how their administration would assert its prerogatives. No such luxury is available at the moment since Donald J. Trump has no political record. There are three indicators that do begin to shed some light on what’s around the corner and where the administration could be going, however. Two of the cases are the appointments of Vice-President-elect Mike Pence and Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos. Both will have large impacts on the domestic front during their time in the administration. The secretary of state has yet to be announced but the contenders imply a shift in Trump’s desired policy. What all three will have are (1) strong support of and direct access to the president, (2) a clear mandate from the president to identify and assert the interests of the administration when needed, and (3) the recognition from the president that they are the experts in their chosen fields.
Holding our breath: What’s around the corner for the US?
President-elect Donald Trump and Vice President-elect Mike Pence stand onstage together at US Bank Arena on December 1, 2016 in Cincinnati, Ohio. (AFP)
- 6854 Views UAE announces candidacy for non-permanent UN Security Council seat
- 5492 Views Kuwaiti Emir Sheikh Sabah dies at age 91: Amiri Diwan
- 4169 Views Kuwait names Crown Prince Sheikh Nawaf al-Ahmad al-Sabah as new emir
- 3408 Views ‘Father of Humaneness’: Kuwait’s Emir dies at 91 leaving legacy of mediation, charity
- 2969 Views World leaders express condolences to Kuwait on death of Sheikh Sabah
- 1427 Views After the death of Kuwait’s emir, how is the next ruler chosen?
- 36423 Views 54-year-old man dies after eating bags of candy for weeks
- 23176 Views Coronavirus: Dubai orders bars, restaurants to stop services, entertainment at 1 a.m.
- 15401 Views Armenia declares martial law and mobilization amid Azerbaijan clashes
- 14892 Views Kuwait to fire 400 expat employees at Ministry of Public Works: Report
- 7983 Views Four people injured in knife attack in Paris, several suspects detained: Police
- 7936 Views How long can coronaviruses survive in a closed elevator? Up to 30 minutes, study says