Political observers are eagerly awaiting the announcement of President-elect Donald Trump’s White House Cabinet. In normal circumstances, there would be the possibility of looking at a president-elect’s previous record to gauge insight into how their administration would assert its prerogatives. No such luxury is available at the moment since Donald J. Trump has no political record. There are three indicators that do begin to shed some light on what’s around the corner and where the administration could be going, however. Two of the cases are the appointments of Vice-President-elect Mike Pence and Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos. Both will have large impacts on the domestic front during their time in the administration. The secretary of state has yet to be announced but the contenders imply a shift in Trump’s desired policy. What all three will have are (1) strong support of and direct access to the president, (2) a clear mandate from the president to identify and assert the interests of the administration when needed, and (3) the recognition from the president that they are the experts in their chosen fields.
Holding our breath: What’s around the corner for the US?
President-elect Donald Trump and Vice President-elect Mike Pence stand onstage together at US Bank Arena on December 1, 2016 in Cincinnati, Ohio. (AFP)
- 9095 Views Coronavirus: Passengers arriving in Abu Dhabi must wear COVID-19 tracking device
- 6341 Views Watch: Israeli singer performs UAE national anthem following peace deal
- 5893 Views Lebanon: More families are marrying off teenage daughters as economic despair sets in
- 4975 Views Lebanon football player Mohamad Atwi dies from stray bullet injury to head
- 2958 Views US to block new TikTok, WeChat app downloads from Sep. 20: Officials
- 2650 Views Coronavirus: UAE reports 786 new COVID-19 cases raising total to 82,568, no deaths
- 38058 Views Coronavirus: Saudi Arabia to partially lift ban on international flights
- 34659 Views Dubai Police arrest man for ‘dancing indecently’ in viral video at local cafe
- 33493 Views Coronavirus: China virologist says COVID-19 man-made, market claims false
- 19804 Views Coronavirus: UAE to hold media briefing on COVID-19
- 16334 Views Morocco, Israel set to establish direct flights: Report
- 14951 Views Coronavirus: UAE records highest daily spike in COVID-19 cases with 1,007 new cases