This was my second and longer trip to Amman, Jordan. When I first got in and looked at my GPS, I zoomed out to acknowledge how much devastation and chaos surrounds Jordan on all borders. The aftermath of attacks that leave people fighting to find some semblance of a normal life is tragic. It’s not just about how many were lost. What the Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) Reconstructive Surgery Programme (RSP) in Amman really highlights are the people who spend months to years recovering from devastation. Victims of wars erupting in Iraq, Yemen, Syria and Palestine come to the hospital to receive month-long and sometimes year-long rehabilitation, where the MSF staff’s aim is to help patients regain the functionality and mobility that they lost due to the raging wars surrounding them. Amputees and burn victims. Surgeries and grafts and prosthetics. Learning to walk again, talk again. Never mind the psychological impact of intense trauma. The more wars that are fought simultaneously, the less the value of the individual and their quality of life seems to matter. And it should matter. This is man-made devastation and these are innocent people.
- 8683 Views Coronavirus: UAE extends curfew indefinitely due to disinfection program
- 3376 Views Coronavirus: Saudi Arabia records 140 new cases totaling 2,179
- 2847 Views Coronavirus: Sweden takes different approach to tackling the outbreak as numbers rise
- 1792 Views Putin’s comments on Saudi withdrawal from OPEC+ deal devoid of truth: Saudi FM
- 1190 Views Coronavirus: Dubai to halt tram, metro services from Sunday
- 1056 Views Coronavirus: Dubai’s malls turn into fulfillment centers as online shopping explodes
- 123215 Views 21 mln drop in China's mobile users may suggest higher coronavirus death toll: Report
- 64549 Views South Korea conquered coronavirus without a lockdown: a model to follow?
- 44587 Views Coronavirus: Saudi's King Salman orders treatment for all, including visa violators
- 34078 Views UAE records total of 570 coronavirus cases and three deaths
- 30553 Views Coronavirus: Saudi Arabia enforces 24-hour daily curfew in Mecca, Medina
- 21003 Views Top Russian doctor who shook Putin’s hand tests positive for coronavirus