Heavily indebted Lebanon will discuss getting help from Saudi Arabia with its financial situation at a new bilateral council the two countries are setting up, the Lebanese prime minister said on Friday.
Work was underway on the new council, and around 19 agreements had been prepared for it, Prime Minister Saad Hariri told reporters after a meeting with French President Emmanuel Macron in Paris.
"There will also be talk regarding how the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will help us regarding the financial situation we have," Hariri said.
Saudi Finance Minister Mohammed al-Jadaan said on Wednesday Riyadh was in discussions with Lebanon about providing financial support, without giving details.
Earlier this week, a Lebanese official source told Reuters that work was underway to convene the committee in October. Hariri and a top-level Saudi official would head the committee, the source said.
One of the world's most heavily indebted states, Lebanon is trying to carry out long-postponed reforms to put the public finances on a sustainable path.
The impetus has grown as the economy slows and the flow of hard currency from Lebanese abroad dries up; those remittance have long been a key source of financing for the state and current account deficits.
PM Hariri: Lebanon to discuss Saudi financial support in new joint body
Lebanon's Prime Minister Saad Hariri announced that he would talk to Saudi Arabia regarding financial support. (File photo: Reuters)
- 7023 Views France: Calls for boycotting French products in Middle East ‘must stop immediately’
- 6250 Views Turkey’s Erdogan says European leaders must put end to Macron’s ‘anti-Islam’ agenda
- 4756 Views Coronavirus: Israel’s Mossad ‘brought’ COVID-19 vaccine from China, says report
- 3172 Views US reiterates potential serious consequences for Turkey after Erdogan mocks sanctions
- 3043 Views Head of Muslim League on Prophet cartoon: We are not against freedoms, only hatred
- 2174 Views Pakistan's parliament urges govt to withdraw envoy from France over Prophet cartoon
- 28532 Views Iranian dissident Mehdi Amin found murdered at his residence in Canada
- 23648 Views Macron tweets in Arabic that France ‘will never give in’ amid Prophet cartoon storm
- 12173 Views Coronavirus: UAE continues to battle surge of infections as 1,563 new cases detected
- 11043 Views Saudi Arabia’s Council of Senior Scholars: Insulting prophets only serves extremists
- 10917 Views Israel, Sudan announce deal normalizing ties
- 10654 Views France recalls envoy to Turkey after Erdogan questions Macron’s mental health