Trump halting World Health Organization funding over handling of coronavirus

President Donald Trump announced Tuesday a suspension of US funding to the World Health Organization because he said it had covered up the seriousness of the COVID-19 outbreak in China before it spread around the world.

Trump told a press conference he was instructing his administration to halt funding while “a review is conducted to assess the World Health Organization’s role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus.”

According to Trump, the WHO prevented transparency over the outbreak and the United States – the UN body’s biggest funder which provided $400 million last year – will now “discuss what to do with all that money that goes to the WHO.”

“With the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have deep concerns whether America’s generosity has been put to the best use possible.”

“One of the most dangerous and costly decisions from the WHO was its disastrous decision to oppose travel restrictions from China and other nations. They were very much opposed to what we did,” Trump said during the briefing from the White House Rose Garden on Tuesday.

“Fortunately, I was not convinced and suspended travel from China, saving untold numbers of lives. Thousands and thousands of people would have died,” he added.

Read more:

Coronavirus: Emirates operating flights to Dubai from May 1, tickets available now

Coronavirus: Which countries are reopening and how are they doing it?

GCC to witness exit of expatriate workers due to coronavirus: Experts

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 14:06 - GMT 11:06
Top