Coronavirus outbreak: China says there has never been a cover-up

Security guards wearing masks stand guard at an entrance in the Tanhualin neighborhood after the lockdown was lifted in Wuhan, capital of Hubei province and China’s epicenter of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak. (Reuters)

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said on Friday there has never been a cover-up of the coronavirus outbreak in China and the government does not allow any cover-ups.

Zhao told reporters at a daily briefing that the revision of the case toll in Wuhan, where the epidemic first emerged in late 2019, was the result of a statistical verification to ensure accuracy and that revision is a common international practice.

For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.

Wuhan’s health authority earlier on Thursday revised up its cumulative death toll by 50 percent to 3,869 to rectify what it called incorrect reporting, delays and omissions.

Read more:

Coronavirus: China’s virus epicenter Wuhan revises total death toll by 1,290

‘No scientific basis’ that the coronavirus was created in Wuhan Lab, says China

Some, including US President Donald Trump, have openly questioned the accuracy of China’s disclosures regarding the scale of the epidemic in the country.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:57 - GMT 06:57
Top