PepsiCo China food processing plant in Beijing halted after coronavirus case

A file photo shows a PepsiCo worker as he watches over a delivery of the soft drinks to a supermarket in Beijing. (AFP)

PepsiCo China said on Sunday that operations at one of its food processing plants in Beijing had been suspended after at least one employee tested positive for the coronavirus, in the latest outbreak of COVID-19 virus in the capital.

Production at the factory in the Daxing district was halted as soon as the first coronavirus case was confirmed on June 15, PepsiCo China director of corporate affairs, Fan Zhimin, told a news conference, without saying how many cases were detected.

Read the latest updates in our dedicated coronavirus section.

A senior official for the Beijing disease control authority, Pang Xinghuo, told the same news conference that eight people at the Daxing plant had tested positive.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Lay’s, which is owned by PepsiCo, said in a post on its micro-blog that the affected food-processing plant produced a small quantity of its potato chips. It said the chance of any virus surviving during food processing was very low.

Beijing reported its first case in the latest COVID-19 outbreak in the city on June 11. The resurgence, in which 227 people have been infected, has been linked to Beijing’s Xinfadi wholesale food center near Daxing district.

Read more:

Coronavirus: Beijing closes schools again, cancels 1,255 flights over COVID-19 fears

Coronavirus: World in ‘new and dangerous phase’ of pandemic, says WHO

Study by US and Chinese researchers shows how quickly coronavirus spreads at home

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Sunday, 21 June 2020 KSA 19:41 - GMT 16:41
Top