Palestinian Authority closes two West Bank cities after coronavirus spike

Members of Palestinian security forces wear masks as they stand guard outside a hotel which staff tested positive for coronavirus in Bethlehem, West Bank, Palestine (AP)

The Palestinian Authority on Saturday said it was temporarily closing the cities of Hebron and Nablus in the occupied West Bank to contain the spread of coronavirus after a sharp rise in infections.

“The government decided to close the governorate of Hebron to prevent anyone from entering or exiting, with the exception of the transport of merchandise,” Palestinian prime minister Mohammed Shtayyeh said.

Read the latest updates in our dedicated coronavirus section.

He told a news conference that Hebron would be closed for five days and Nablus for 48 hours.

The measures come after an increase in COVID-19 infections in both cities.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Hebron saw 48 new cases on Saturday, bringing the total to 258, while authorities have reported 23 cases in Nablus.
Authorities have reported a total of 687 cases in the West Bank, including two deaths so far.

Read more:

Coronavirus: Palestinians easing COVID-19 restrictions in West Bank

Hamas attacks 85-year-old woman, journalists who covered the incident: Reports

Jordan foreign minister visits Palestinians as Israeli annexation plans loom

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Sunday, 21 June 2020 KSA 01:05 - GMT 22:05
Top