Coronavirus: Oman records 1,366 new cases, shuts down compound housing 2,067 workers

Muscat, Oman. (Arisa. S, Unsplash)

Oman has recorded 1,366 new coronavirus cases over the past 24 hours, raising the total to 34,902, the health ministry announced on Thursday.

Read the latest updates in our dedicated coronavirus section.

Of the new cases, 680 are Omani nationals and 686 are foreigners.

Two people who had previously tested positive for the virus have died, raising the death toll to 144.

Meanwhile, an additional 548 individuals recovered, taking the total number of recoveries to 18,520.

There are currently 417 people in the hospitals receiving treatment for the infections and 107 are in the intensive care unit.

The health minister told a press conference that in case the Sultanate’s infection numbers continue to increase, field hospitals may be needed.

A member of the supreme committee also said a large number of infections were recorded in factories and companies in the Seeb area, to the northwest of the capital Muscat.

“Measures were taken, including the shutdown of a residential compound housing 2,067 workers,” Dr. Saif al-Abri said during the press conference.

The number of novel coronavirus cases in the six Gulf Arab states has doubled in a month to over 400,000, according to a Reuters tally.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Read more:

Infections in GCC surpass 400,000 COVID-19 cases, Reuters tally shows

Saudi Arabia’s private sector to drive local tourism says minister

UAE launches world’s first phase 3 clinical trial of COVID-19 vaccine

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Thursday, 25 June 2020 KSA 13:06 - GMT 10:06
Top