Iran struggles to contain coronavirus outbreak with more than 15,000 deaths

An Iranian man, wearing a protective face mask, buys hand sanitiser from a woman at a metro station in the capital Tehran on July 22, 2020, during the COVID-19 epidemic. (AFP)

Iran’s death toll from the novel coronavirus surpassed 15,000, health authorities announced on Thursday, as the country struggles to contain the Middle East’s deadliest outbreak.

“Unfortunately we lost 221 of our dear compatriots to the COVID-19 disease in the course of the past 24 hours,” health ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on state television.

For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.

The fatalities bring the total number of deaths to 15,074 in the Islamic republic.

The country has faced a rise in cases and deaths since the end of June, reporting on Tuesday the highest single-day death toll of 229 since announcing its first cases in February.

Read more: Coronavirus: Iran says 138 health care workers have died fighting pandemic

Lari urged Iranians to avoid all non-essential travel, enclosed spaces and large gatherings to help stem the spread of the virus.

She added that an additional 2,621 COVID-19 cases had been confirmed, bringing the total caseload to 284,034.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Sunday, 15 November 2020 KSA 07:41 - GMT 04:41
Top