LISTEN: What did Mubarak say in a phone call about his acquittal?

The interview was held by Sawt al-Omma editor-in-chief Dina al-Hosseini. (YouTube)

Egyptian newspaper Sawt al-Omma has published an interview with former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak after he was acquitted of the 2011 protestors killing last week.

During the interview, held by the newspaper editor-in-chief Dina al-Hosseini, Mubarak diplomatically evaded most questions and jokingly replied to several of them. At one point, he even claimed he wasn’t Mubarak but his aide, Khaled Thabet, but he then resumed answering Hosseini’s questions.

Hosseini told AlArabiya.net that she contacted the former president by calling one of his aides.

During her interview with him, Mubarak said he was in good health and that when the acquittal procedures are over, he will return home but not to Sharm al-Sheikh. However, he did not elaborate any further.

When asked who killed the protestors, Mubarak joked and told her: “You did. I am going to report you,” and then said she should ask the court that question.

Hosseini noted that the current regime is resorting to the help of ministers whom Mubarak had previously assigned in the government, such as Ali Meselhy who is currently the Minister of Supply. Mubarak then asked whether Egypt even has a Ministry of Supply and mocked it, adding that he does not follow up on news reported by Egyptian media outlets and that he reads French, Russian and British magazines.

Hosseini tried to convince Mubarak of mediating with his sons Alaa and Gamal to speak to the media, but he refused and asked her to stay away from them as they will not speak to the media.

 

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:49 - GMT 06:49
Top