Missing Moroccan pilot’s father: ‘My son isn’t dead’

Morocco's armed forces said on Monday the fighter jet taking part in the Saudi-led air in Yemen had been missing

The father of the missing pilot from the Moroccan F-16 fighter jet which went missing in Yemen earlier this week told Al Arabiya News on Tuesday that photos alleging to show his son’s body were not of him.

He added that there was no official news from the Moroccan army regarding his son’s death.

“As a father, I have great hope that he will return to (us). Our morale is high and in the end, we accept God’s predestination,” Bahti said, criticizing what he says was fabricated news on his son’s fate.

Morocco's armed forces said on Monday the fighter jet taking part in the Saudi-led air campaign against Houthi militias in Yemen had been missing since 6 p.m. the previous day.

An investigation was under way into the whereabouts of the missing jet. Meanwhile, Houthi militias broadcasted a video they said was showing wreckage of the jet.

Brigadier General Ahmed Asiri, spokesman of the Saudi-led coalition, confirmed the F-16 fell and held the Houthis responsible for the safety of the pilot.

Houthi TV channel al-Masira said the plane was shot down by tribesmen loyal to the group in Saada province near Yemen's border with Saudi Arabia.

Other conflicting reports said the pilot of the fighter jet survived after the plane crashed due to a technical fault, adding that he is being hosted by a Yemeni tribe in support of the Saudi-led coalition.

 

SHOW MORE
Last Update: 06:44 KSA 09:44 - GMT 06:44
Top