Olympics organizers sought on Friday to ease French concerns about next year’s winter Games in South Korea, saying the safety of athletes was their priority and nations in the region had no doubts that the event would go ahead.
With tensions on the Korean peninsula rising, France on Thursday became the first nation to publicly raise the possibility of skipping the Feb. 9-25 Pyeongchang Olympics on security grounds.
North Korea, which conducted a sixth nuclear test on Sept. 3 to global condemnation, said on Friday it might test a hydrogen bomb over the Pacific Ocean after US President Donald Trump threatened to destroy the reclusive country.
“We are monitoring the situation on the Korean peninsula and the region very closely.” an International Olympic Committee spokesman said.
“Athletes’ safety and security are of course a primary concern for the IOC. This is why even in the past few days at the United Nations we continue to be in touch with the heads of state concerned.”
“In none of the discussions, has anybody expressed any doubt about the Olympic Games 2018,” the spokesman said, adding that preparations for the Games remained on track.
Italy’s Olympic committee said on Friday that it and other national committees had received reassurances from IOC President Thomas Bach last week at a meeting in Lima.
“We look forward to safe and secure Olympic Winter Games,” Italy committee president Giovanni Malagò said in a statement emailed to Reuters.
The multi-billion dollar Pyeongchang Olympics will be held just 80 km from the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea, the world’s most heavily armed border.
نستخدم ملفات الكوكيز لنسهل عليك استخدام مواقعنا الإلكترونية ونكيف المحتوى والإعلانات وفقا لمتطلباتك واحتياجاتك الخاصة، لتوفير ميزات وسائل التواصل الاجتماعية ولتحليل حركة المرور لدينا...اعرف أكثر