This year the holy month of Ramadan falls in the summer, making fasting a tough task for Muslims, who abstain from food and drink until sunset.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup red lentils, thoroughly washed
- 2 cubes vegetable stock
- Salt to taste
- 1 table spoon cumin
- 1 tea spoon turmeric
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- Parsley for garnish
- In a pot over medium heat, sauté the chopped onions with olive oil until lightly browned.
- Add lentils and stir with onions for a minute or two (roasting lentils before cooking gives them extra flavor).
- Add vegetable stock and 6 cups of water (or you can add 6 cups of homemade chicken stock).
- Cover the pot and leave it under low-medium heat for about an hour or until lentils are very tender and creamy.
- Now after having them cooked, add cumin, turmeric, salt to taste, and juice of half a lemon.
- Blend the whole mixture using an electric blender to make a coherent and creamier soup.
- Garnish with parsley and serve hot.
INDONESIAN CHICKEN SOUP