Christmas is nowhere a larger holy day than in the Middle East and for a good reason. Nazareth where Jesus and his Mother Mary hail from is in Palestine, or modern-day Israel, considered as an enemy and occupier by most Arabs. Bethlehem, site of the nativity is in the Occupied Palestinian West Bank, not accessible to most.
The true meaning of Christmas in the Middle East
Disclaimer: Views expressed by writers in this section are their own and do not reflect Al Arabiya English's point-of-view.
- 8069 Views Coronavirus: Saudia Airlines to resume travel to 33 destinations in November
- 7880 Views France recalls envoy to Turkey after Erdogan questions Macron’s mental health
- 5467 Views Dubai announces $136 mln economic stimulus package amid coronavirus pandemic
- 4591 Views Khabib retires after choking out Gaethje to retain UFC lightweight crown in Abu Dhabi
- 2561 Views Coronavirus: Istanbul mayor Imamoglu in hospital after positive test
- 1743 Views Arab Coalition intercepts Houthi drone targeting Saudi Arabia
- 36144 Views First Emirati passenger plane lands in Israel from UAE
- 35692 Views Shock in Iraq after woman throws her two children into the Tigris River
- 28895 Views ‘Welcome to Israel’: First UAE delegation received by Israeli PM Netanyahu at airport
- 27338 Views Iranian dissident Mehdi Amin found murdered at his residence in Canada
- 18487 Views Paris attack: Chechen who beheaded teacher Samuel Paty tweeted against Saudi Arabia
- 11581 Views Coronavirus: UAE continues to battle surge of infections as 1,563 new cases detected