I remember the period during which the Fath mosque near Ramses Square in Cairo was under construction. It was being constructed in the midst of an unending conflict between the state and the onslaught of political Islam. However, I will not talk now about my remarks regarding the management of this conflict for the past few decades. Although it was still under construction, the mosque was used as a gathering point for the members of groups affiliated with political Islam. It was the starting point for all the demonstrations and right next to the mosque there was a strong Security Force presence.
On our history of standing up to extremism
Disclaimer: Views expressed by writers in this section are their own and do not reflect Al Arabiya English's point-of-view.
- 60717 Views Coronavirus, fires, crashes, locust swarms: Ten bad things that happened in 2020
- 6784 Views Qassem Soleimani Foundation tweets photo targeting Trump, vows ‘retaliation’
- 6637 Views Kuwait nears deal to drastically cut expat numbers by hundreds of thousands: Report
- 3286 Views Coronavirus: Russia approves COVID-19 vaccine, first in the world, Putin says
- 2964 Views Turkish drone kills two high-ranking Iraqi officers in Kurdish region: Army
- 1522 Views Coronavirus: Mouthwash use could prevent COVID-19 spread, scientists find
- 48775 Views Dubai to enforce flexible working hours starting from August 16
- 40823 Views Beirut explosion: Missing port worker found alive in sea 30 hours after Lebanon blast
- 37131 Views Watch: Beirut explosion sweeps away bride and groom posing for wedding pictures
- 19938 Views Beirut blast is the most tragic: 6 explosions, fires around the world within 72 hours
- 19210 Views Colonel who died suspiciously had asked for removing ammonium nitrate: Lebanese media
- 18624 Views Investigators find underground chamber beneath Beirut port wreckage: Reports