A while ago, the Iranians declared that they do not want the region to be called the Arab Mashriq. No one talks about Arabs in zones which Tehran influences in Iraq, Syria and Lebanon except within the context of slander as nationalism is “evil” and Arabs have “surrendered to America and Israel!” They also do not like the term “Middle East” which the westerners use because it reflects an American project in the region and it must not be accepted as it’s based on justifying the establishment of the Zionist state in Palestine. So what’s the name they want? They do not publicly speak about that. They also do not like an Islamic name although they represent “an Islamic revolution.” They do not like it because most of the region’s residents are Arab Sunnis while Iran is a sectarian state with a sectarian constitution. Their official statements are about the “axis” which extends from Tehran to Beirut via Iraq and Syria.
Iran and Turkey, unrest and its aftermath
Disclaimer: Views expressed by writers in this section are their own and do not reflect Al Arabiya English's point-of-view.
- 7627 Views Turkey condemns killing of Iranian nuclear scientist, urges restraint
- 4651 Views Dubai to cut fuel surcharge starting Dec. 1 to bring down customer power, water bills
- 3944 Views Indonesian volcano erupts, forcing thousands of residents to flee
- 2676 Views Iranian newspaper: Iran should attack Haifa if Israel killed scientist Fakhrizadeh
- 2177 Views UAE condemns assassination of Iranian nuclear scientist, calls for restraint
- 2164 Views Trump adviser Kushner and US team heading to Saudi Arabia and Qatar for talks
- 22276 Views UAE-Israel: Nobel Peace Prize nominations for Abu Dhabi Crown Prince, Netanyahu
- 12555 Views Turkey's Erdogan preparing for worst during 4 years of US incoming president Biden
- 11712 Views Iranian nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh assassinated: Ministry of Defense
- 9672 Views Trump retweets Israeli journalist saying nuclear scientist killing a ‘blow for Iran’
- 9610 Views UAE National Day: Abu Dhabi grants citizens $2 bln in homes, land, loan forgiveness
- 8471 Views Saudi Arabia arrests 226 people involved in 158 criminal corruption cases