There are no words to describe the atrocities caused by the tragedy that struck Beirut and its people on August 4 at 6:08 p.m. Hundreds dead or missing, thousands injured, and even more left homeless. The physical and infrastructural damage is massive, yet the psychological toll may be even worse. In the past ten months, the Lebanese rose against a decades-old system of sectarian, economic, and social violence, only to be silenced yet again by an oligarchy that dug an ever deeper grave for an already ailing population. The desolate narrative of resiliency that has so often accompanied the Lebanese people must finally be put to rest. No society can repeatedly withstand governance failures, exploitative policies, the pillaging of its state, the disregard for its basic rights, and all forms of violence it’s subjected to.
The Beirut explosion is the latest disaster – Lebanese ruling elite must face justice
Disclaimer: Views expressed by writers in this section are their own and do not reflect Al Arabiya English's point-of-view.
- 41878 Views Watch: Saudi man arrested for crashing car into courtyard of Grand Mosque in Mecca
- 25023 Views Nice attack: Twitter removes Mahathir’s tweet on killing millions of French people
- 9034 Views Free speech has limits, says Canada PM when asked about Prophet Mohammed cartoons
- 5004 Views Clashes at Lebanon’s capital Beirut as people protest French cartoons of the Prophet
- 4727 Views Third man detained over deadly church attack in France’s Nice
- 4146 Views Thousands rally in Jerusalem against France’s Macron over the Prophet cartoons
- 40100 Views Watch: Saudi man arrested for crashing car into courtyard of Grand Mosque in Mecca
- 32250 Views Saudi ministry clarifies after report on pending decision to abolish kafala system
- 28507 Views Macron tweets in Arabic that France ‘will never give in’ amid Prophet cartoon storm
- 24900 Views Man arrested in Saudi Arabia's Jeddah after stabbing guard at French consulate: SPA
- 24802 Views Nice attack: Twitter removes Mahathir’s tweet on killing millions of French people
- 21479 Views France knife attack: Woman beheaded in Nice church, two others dead, several injured